Sunday, September 09, 2007
~ 1:11 AM ~
Fate, it seems, reigns in our world / universe like a thumb of a man observing a group of ants. Most of the time, the man does nothing. However he may choose to intervene and extend the mighty thumb of his, crushing those in its path. I am such an ant.
The thumb first came lately, when the famous Italian operatic tenor, Mr. Luciano Pavarotti, passed on at the age of 71. Possibly influenced by many of his reaches into pop culture, I had come to know this man as the symbol of opera. Furthermore, his 'Pavarotti and Friends' charity concerts in the early 90s proved to be meaningful classics. I even found them in music stores alongside other more recent works. The passing meant the loss of an irreplaceable voice, and the a third of the 3 Tenors.
As if to totally annihilate the pathetic weeping ant, this thumb came straight down, in a more indirect way. The passing of my uncle. Although it has been at least a decade since I've seen him, the sorrow came nonetheless. His passing reminded me of the fragility of life, and that my parents are not that young either. Life is never strong, is it? But the people are. All who have sped through their existence would turn back to see a blur image of their past. It is those who take their time to stroll who sees his life clearly in front, and behind, of him. I weep because I am clearly not someone who takes his own advice.
Lessons can be learnt from life's experiences. Of course, they always tell me that. But for now, let me mourn. For I, too, am a human with emotions.