Monday, December 25, 2006
~ 12:17 AM ~
01122910 Nuclear Winter
What have I done? I have stopped the progress of evolution! History will condemn me, and contemporaries curse. What seems to be the ultimate gift may well end up a Pandora's box.
It began at the meeting a few days ago. The meeting of the greatest minds in this world: Prof. Hephaestus, Minerva, Vesta and Ceres Etcera, Delphi Asclepius, and most unqualified, me. Perhaps I should talk about Deplhi, whom I only decided to invite after I recall his numerous medical achievements, in the fields of cell regeneration and healing, in particular. Well, so it seemed that the centre of all conversations was the space warpping technology and its theoretical applications. Vesta was the first to speak up. "The barriers will serve well as borders to different sgements of cities." I recall her exclamation. "Everything can be easily moderated within this shield."
Ceres, of course, would not agree totally of her sister's concrete desires. She hoped for partitioned land for plantations and fields, like giant greenhouses spanning across islands.
Minerva, most imaginative yet rational of all, spoke of the possibility of space travel, since the 'spacewarp' in reality brings distances closer and thus provides a shortcut to a specific destination. We laughed, but did not mock, the idea, since we know of no reason to expand beyond our satellite, the moon. It was good enough that our planet could be made largely inhabitable.
Delphi spoke up next. He pointed at the twenty-third equation on Prof. Hephaestus's seventy-two-equation-long solution to Poof's Equations and claimed, " does this not imply that temporal distortion can be achieved at a microscopic level. for example, in cells?" I stared at the equations, then at him, and stared in disbelief. A PhD in medicine enabled him to understand the advanced mathematics which even a mathematics professor may not understand? I had underestimated his talents.
Delphi seemed to understand my amazement, and replied humbly, "I studied temporal mechanics before, so I could understand that little part. However, that is all I know, I think."
As a genetic engineer, my biggest problem is to maintain the functionality of cells, which tend to die out in time. However, this discovery may yet mean the immortality of cells, or even humans as a whole! I laughed in excitement and requsted Delphi's help in a collaboration to come up with the way to Immortality, or so I thought then.
Now, I have produced a monster. A vaccine which, once applied, cannot be reversed. The first victim: myself. The worst part of this is the eternal pain one has to suffer if he be inflicted with an incurable disease. And the pain of cuts which heal in a night and reappears in the day. Hanging to death will mean a long neck sore, with no end. Let me keep this a commercial secret, lest some evil entity should acquire it from me.
Jove also endorsed the first practical application of the space-warping technology today. It was an atmosphere monitor and adjustor to customise any weather suitable for the terrain. Jove calls it 'SKY', which, coupled with Cere's GAIA, may be the ultimate solution to terraforming.
I hope I am more useful.