
Sunday, June 25, 2006
~ 8:01 PM ~
The air smelt of the elites that held the people in their hands - The elites that you despised them so much in the past. The stench you hated, to your amazement, became a fragrance so charming. What you saw, however, was the most shocking of all: Clones of identical bodies in ivory robes moving around. You turn your head in shock to face the smiling Octaf.
“Oh, that. Don’t mind. Escapists tend not to face the world, hence they have converging looks.” Octaf joked, though with a very LHS-ic sense of humour. “You’ll be like them, if you still wish to occupy one of our places.”
“I’m sure with my position in your organization, I would have a distinct look, as you have.” You replied.
“Of course… Here we are, the Council room.” The medieval wooden frame and oak door formed the entrance to the ruling minds of the known Republic, and once half of the world. Octaf knocked on the door in a seemingly coded fashion, before turning the pewter knob. Pushing the door, Octaf pointed to you a chair in the room. You presume he meant for you to sit there. You approached the hardwood chair and sat down, admiring the darkness around you. The room has only one spotlight shining - on you.
‘Let there be light!” And there was light. Through the glare you see figures of men in robes, and a second later, their faces. They seem so familiar…
“Welcome, Mr. Talus. I understand that you have the legacy of our founder. We would be delighted to accept you as the successor to the book.” The one who seemed to be the president of this council introduced.
“Thank you very much. I would be more delighted if you welcome me as one of you.” A distrustful chide you have made.
“Well, that too…”
“I’ve thought of my title as well.”
“You want a rank in this council as well? Fine, what is your request?”
“Honorary chancellor, just like the author.”
“I can’t believe it! You are smart, young boy, but perhaps too smart. That title virtually gives you limitless powers.”
“The price of the book, sir.”
“Argh… all right. You are now conferred with the title of ‘ Honorary Chancellor’. What is your first order, your excellency?” The tone was so sarcastic that it seemed to have acidified the atmosphere.
“Hmm, let me see. Yes, I know! My first order will be: To dismiss this council and re-elect one. Pronto.”
The inertia of the tower has just been overcome, to bring about the inertia of its movement. Move on!