
Sunday, May 21, 2006
~ 8:01 PM ~
"ID?" The automatic identification machine asked, with that dreaded tone.
You held you ID card to the sensors.
"ID not in Database. Visitor Class. Are you invited?"
You flipped the book to page 144, where a barcode was printed in a most obscure manner. It wasn't actually a 'barcode', but more like a 'wavecode', where the lines are in a haphazard pattern. You placed the book near the sensors.
"Top Secret Clearance cleared. Welcome to LHS, Mister..."
You rushed pass the steel doors before the machine could finish its monotonous speech, and found a grand waiting hall behind those doors. Very ancient, you noted, of the hall's design. Oil paintings and lamps hung on the white wall coloured orange by the light. Even the floor was made of marble, a material seldom seen in modern homes.
"Good evening, young man. I am Octaf Cestus, nephew of the great Luchonves Cestus and currently the Chairman of our humble organisation. And you are?" A man suddenly appeared in front of you and introduced. He must have approached you while you were admiring the hall.
"Talus Tan. I believe I am here to claim my reward."
"Reward? Oh! Yes, I remember. The monetary reward promised to anyone who have found the old book. Of course nobody believes in the importance of the book now. Show me the book for authenticity."
"I beg your pardon, Mr Octaf. My very presence here proves that the book is genuine. Page 144 it was. Furthermore, I, for one, believes in its importance. You would definitely require my help if you wish to restore the power of the Republic and LHS from the glorious past."
"Help? Oh my! We are really working well here. I thank you for your offer. Yet, my stand remains: We will still offer you monetary rewards."
"I do not need them. Yet, I believe you need the 3 set of the P Equations to compute the results for your project. Or do you want to go out of course forever." Your tone was simply blackmailing.
Octaf's face was unmoved, but you couldn't help but notice his worries and sorrow behind the stoic look. For a minute or two, this uneasy silence remained.
"Fine," Octaf was the one who gave up, "State your price."
"I do not need money, as I said before. I just want a place in your council."
"Just? Your request is of astronomical value, and you may not even have the qualification to fulfill it."
"Well, this book and my knowledge of it is enough qualification, isn't it."
"Ok, I shall consult my council."
"No, I will convince them myself."
Octaf stared at you, and walked back through a glass door.
"Follow me."