Wednesday, March 16, 2005
~ 10:45 PM ~
"Man is a rope, fastened between animal and Superman - a rope over an abyss.
A dangerous going-across, a dangerous wayfaring, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous shuddering and staying-still.
What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not a goal; what can be loved in man is that he is a going-across and a down-going.
I love those who do not know how to live except their lives be a down-going, for they are those who are going across.
I love the great despisers, for they are the great venerators and arrows of longing for the other bank.
I love those who do not first seek beyond the statrs for reasons to go down and be sacrifices: but who sacrifice themselves to the earth, that the earth may one day belong to the Superman.
I love him who lives for knowledge and who wants knowledge that one day the Superman may live. And thus he wills his own downfall.
I love him who works and invents that he may build a house for the Superman and prepare earth, animals, and plants for him: for thus he wills his own downfall.
I love him who loves his virtue: for virtue is will to downfall and an arrow of longing.
I love him who keeps back no drop of spirit for himself, but wants to be the spirit of his virtue entirely: thus he steps as spirit over the bridge.
I love him who makes a predilection and a fate of his virtue: thus for his virtue's sake he will live or not live.
I love him who does not want too many virtues. One virtue is more virtue than two, because it is more of a knot for fate to cling to.
I love him whose soul is lavish, who neither wants nor returns thanks: for he always gives and will not preserve himself.
I love him who is ashamed when the dice fall in his favour and who then asks: Am I then a cheat? - for he wants to perish.
I love him who throws golden words in advance of his deeds and always performs more than he promised: for he wills his own downfall.
I love him who justifies the men of the future and redeems the men of the past: for he wants to perish by the men of the present.
I love him who chastises his God because he loves God: for he must perish by the anger of his God.
I love him whose soul is deep even in its ability to be wounded, and whom even a little thing can destroy: thus he is glad to go over the bridge.
I love him whose soul is overfull, so that he forgets himself and all things are in him: thus all things become his downfall.
I love him who is of a free spirit and a free heart: thus his head is only the bowels of his heart, but his heart drives him to his downfall.
I love all those who are like heavy drops falling singly from the dark cloud that hangs over mankind: they prohesy the cominhg of the lightning and as prophets they perish.
Behold, I am a prophet of the lightning and a heavy drop from the cloud: but this lightning is called Superman." -Zarathustra's Prologue
P.S. Superman here refers to a certain higher order of human, not the offworlder with super powers.